Thursday 11 March 2010

Target Audience

Through researching existing magazines i realised that most have a clear idea of who their target audience will be and so, before constructing any planning or ideas i thought of who my target audience would be and then worked my way around what would be the best things to feature to fit in with the specified audience.

When planning my magazine I had a clear idea of what my target audience would be. As my magazine features young stars and artists that younger people would be interested in I decided to aim my magazine at people aged between 15 and 25, which is similar to popular and well known existing music magazines such as 'NME'. As my magazine is aiming to people that are quite young i will have to make the splash seem appealing through the use of colours, fonts and language, making it clear that the message being given out is the right one and also one that those of a young age can relate to and feel comfortable reading about.


For example, the main article is going to be about a new teen star in the music industry, therefore will relate to readers and give them inspiration if they are trying to do the same thing. This will contribute to the genre of people the magazine is targeting as the image will look quite 'rocky' and 'alternative'. However, the banner and cover lines featured will be targeting a more indie and r'n'b audience, giving my front cover a wide variety of genre's making it more easy to relate to and broadening my target audience further.


As my magazine will be covering most music genre's, e.g. indie, rock, alternate and parts of r'n'b, it will be targeting people who have an interest in all artists, broadening the target audience and making my magazine more popular which is important as my magazine will be a new one, therefore it will need the most publicity possible.

Most magazine's target a predominant audience of male's and therefore i decided to challenge the typical conventions and feature a female as my main cover line story and try and equal out the male to female ratio of who would buy and be interested in my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment